Tuesday, 21 November 2017



 At last, we were ready to install the steering column. It's in two parts; the lower part from the steering rack is linked by a universal joint to the upper part which is supposed to be inserted from above through a hole in the dashboard. But when we tried this, the lower end wasn't long enough to fit into the joint. We found that inserting the shaft from behind the dashboard instead gave us enough length to engage fully with the splines on the joint. A phone call to Keith Noble confirmed that this was the way to do it - very reassuring.












So the column is now fitted with the steel ring that secures it on the top of the dashboard. Having solved this problem we were able to go ahead with fitting the (detachable) wheel, and the dials and switches.